Environmental Agency Update to Technical Competence Onsite
14th December 2020
We understand that there may be a number of concerns across many waste sites around the attendance requirements of technically competent people on site when many sites are still running on reduced staffing levels due to illnesses and self-isolation.
The Environmental Agency have released a new updated stating some slight changes when ensuring technical competence on site. These include the following:
- There must always be a technical competence person on site
- The technically competent Manager (TCM) attendance hours are now within guidance issued by GOV.UK
- Operators must make provision for alternative TCM cover when there is absence. This may not always be possible but must always be attempted
- Where the TCM is ill or self-isolating, the operators should be able and capable to operate plant or site safety
- Operators have a duty on site to ensure their role is fit for purpose, systems are operational, there is roster to respond to incidents and notify us if their site cannot be monitored
Any other obligations must remain applicable as appropriate. You must ensure that you are noting any COVID-19 impacts down on record.
If you have more information about the running of your site or if you are having a problem placing a TCM on your site, please visit GOV.UK for a full breakdown.
Source: WAMITAB UK